Monday 14 January 2013

The Proposal!!


On Christmas Eve of the year 2012 my gorgeous boyfriend (now fiance) got down on one knee and popped the famous question.


The magical moment!
The Magical Moment!!
Yes that's right, he actually got me to take a photo of this unforgettable moment.

I'm not the easiest person to surprise and he even had to stop me from googling what I assumed was a Christmas Eve trail walk in Ashridge Forest, since the trail walk no longer existed. But I can honestly say the last thing I expected when we were both feeling under the weather, attempting a walk in the rain and wearing muddy welly's.. was a proposal. Best surprise ever!


The Story


We had driven to my fiance's parents house the night before Christmas Eve so we could wake up there and head into the forest for the supposed Christmas trail. We were not feeling too well, a bit stuffy and sniffy and his parents were acting a bit more crazy then usual but I just put that down to not feeling great. Unknown to me, Andy was desperately trying to get me out of the house so that (if I said yes) we could come back and skype with  my family in Australia before they went to sleep. My Mum had been kept in the dark but my Step Father was in the know since F had called to ask his permission a few weeks earlier.


So we head off in the car, dressed in muddy welly's and a big, warm puffer jacket, glad to be out of the crazy house and out into the fresh air. When we arrive at the forest I see a small house type of building at which a group of people with Santa hats were sitting and (as I assumed) eating mince pies and sipping hot drinks. Andy is just nodding and smiling along at my naivety, he points out that our trail walk starts down the path to the right.. and so we trod through the muddy wet grass with me none the wiser.


With no idea where we were actually going or what he was going to do, as the path was turning into a bend Andy stopped in front of the beautiful tree (as pictured), handed me the umbrella and declared he needed to wee (totally romantic, I know). As he disappeared behind the gorgeous tree I took my camera out to take a photo of the clearing and that is when he reappeared, spoiling the view of the photo I was trying to take. He then says to me 'What would you say if I said we weren't going on the trail walk?', not having a properly functioning brain and confusing me further my fiance, who hates having his photo taken then says 'Take a photo of this', and proceeds to get down on one knee. By this point I think my heart has stopped but I manage to take the photo anyway. Then my brain and voice kicks in 'What do you mean? What are you doing?!', Andy starts to walk towards me and proclaims 'I'm asking you to marry me!' and then for the second time gets down on his knee in the mud again. After a few more confused seconds or what felt like minutes I started screaming 'OF COURSE OF COURSE' and then my beautiful ring was slipped on my finger.


Engagement22 24.12.12


Back at the house my now in-laws, had wishfully prepared champagne. So that left us one thing to do.. Celebrate! We skyped my Aussie family and broke the news, they did shots, we drank champagne.. then we drank more champagne when the in-laws arrived back home.



Skyping with the Mother and Father of the bride.
Skyping with the Mother and Father of the bride.
Nothing prepares you for how amazing it feels to get engaged to the one you love, the excitement you feel when you break the news, show people the ring, tell them your proposal story and of course getting to use the word 'Fiance'. It rolls off your tongue and melts in your mouth like an amazing Malteser Bunny!

Engagement7 24.12.12


Now.. let the planning begin!!


T xx

No comments:

Post a Comment